Friday, June 12, 2009

Mommy throws a tantrum at the pediatrician's office

I admit it. I may have overreacted. We were 15 minutes early for Jack's 10 a.m. 6 month check-up like we always are. Somehow they deleted our appointment and didn't tell me until we had already been in the waiting room for 30 minutes. They apologized but that didn't make Jack feel any better about the situation because I think he is starting to put 2 and 2 together and knows that not-so-good things happen there. We finally saw the doctor at 11 and the good news is that Jack is in perfect health -- 15 lbs 11 oz (25th percentile), 27 inches long (75th percentile) and head circumference of 17 inches (50th percentile.) The bad news is that we waited another 25 minutes for his 4 shots. Jack was screaming -- hungry and tired and bored. I was pacing with him in the hallway and then -- something snapped -- I yelled. Loudly. Probably way too loudly. "Is anyone going to give my son his shots so we can get out of here?!" I got sympathetic looks from nurses but no one jumped into action. Finally, we got the shots and it took a good 15 minutes to get Jack calmed down enough so that I was comfortable to drive home with him. If you have never been in the car with a screaming baby -- or if it's been a while...then let me refresh your memory -- I will tell you that it would be much preferred to jump off a cliff or have all of your teeth pulled out without Novocaine. Before we left the office I had a discussion with our doctor at the reception area listing out my demands for our next appointment -- first appointment of the day with no waiting, shots ready as soon as the exam is over & a confirmation call the day before the appointment so I know that we are on the books. She agreed (I think she agreed only to get the crazy mommy out of the office so the other patients didn't get scared!) Like I said before, I may have overreacted but common sense and tact seems to go out the window when Jack cries. The rest of the afternoon was much brighter and happier ending with oatmeal and bananas and a bath with his new rubber duck. If only my day could be made better with such simple pleasures...

No comments:

Post a Comment