Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Jack takes a few minutes off of Mommy's life expectancy


Okay, so we're getting ready for Book Babies at the library and we're
sitting on the bed -- like we always do -- and Sophie the dog walks by
-- like she always does -- and Jack decides that he must have her,
must touch her, must be with her THIS SECOND! He lunges at her
and before I can even comprehend what is happening I have only
grabbed part of a toe and Jack is on the floor. He landed on a comforter
that was balled up on the floor (so thank God we don't ever think to
make the bed) but that didn't stop the tears (his and mine.) I tried to
calm him down for a few minutes before calling Rob to let him know
what had happened and that I was going to go check for broken bones
and for brains leaking from my little boy's ears before we took off for
the pediatrician's office. No blood, no bruises, nothing broken except
Mommy's spirit. Jack checked out okay at the doctor and now weighs
an even 18 pounds so, based on weight, that means that we've been
under dosing him every time we give him Tylenol for months now --
no wonder teething has been so terrible!

We didn't make it to Book Babies but we had a great rest of the day.

God -- I didn't know how responsible I was going to feel when anything
bad happens. I didn't know it was going to be this hard! I'm going to
have to learn to put on a braver face when stuff like this happens so
when Jack turns to me to decide how he is going to react I'm not looking
like my heart has stopped. I hope it gets easier but I'm guessing that it
only gets tougher from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment