Saturday, September 5, 2009

Do you want to know what time it is?


Do you want to know what time it is? Well, if you are at our house and it is after 8:00 pm. and Jack is crying then you can be pretty sure that it is 5 minutes after the hour. Every hour. Since our return from Ohio -- where Jack slept like an angel, mind you -- Jack has been waking up at 8:05, 9:05, 10:05 -- you get the drift. It seems that somewhere between learning how to crawl and learning how to stand up in his crib that Jack forgot how to get himself back to sleep. Or, perhaps he never really knew how to do this and he was just less mobile so he didn't wake up as much. Whichever the reason, it led me to Barnes and Noble on Friday to purchase 2 books -- The Ferber classic "Solve your Child's Sleep Problems" and "The Sleep Lady's" book that promised me a happy, sleeping child in just 14 days. Sigh. Rob and I are each reading one book and then giving each other a book report while we decide what to do. We are both adamantly against "crying it out" even if that is really, truly, probably the fastest way to go. But, seeing as I can't stand to hear Jack cry for more than 15 seconds at a time, unless Rob will let me check into a hotel while he attempts this method -- no matter how long it takes -- I don't think this will be our first option. Whichever way we decide to go, we'll be starting it next week after we have all of the information we need (and maybe some Valium for Mommy and some gin for Daddy...) and this also gives us a little time to harden our hearts. I know that sleep is SO important for Jack but I wish that the doctors had stressed just how important it was to teach him how to fall asleep on his own. At least we're not alone -- there wouldn't be 17 books on the bookstore shelf about baby sleep issues if we were the only parents in the world with a freakish baby that doesn't like to sleep thru the night. We'll keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Rob adds:
What?! Where was I when the vote took place?

I'm not opposed to letting Jack cry it out. If it means I can sleep again in three or four days --- rather than in two weeks! --- I'm adamantly in favor of it!

I want a recount! Where is my vote?! Justice now!! If I had more people I'd organize a march. Maybe shout at you at your town hall meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment