Monday, July 20, 2009

The Butterfly Pavillion is for the birds...


Now, before anyone gets on my case about
how cool the Denver Butterfly Pavillion is,
please read the entire post before you judge...

We met 10 other moms and babies at the
Butterfly Pavillion this morning. It was great
to see some moms and babies that we
already know and met some others too! That
was the good part of the day...

If you want to check it out, here is the link:
http://www.butterflies.org/

It was a little pricey -- even with our group
discount and there really aren't that many
exhibits. I'm sure that when Jack is 4 he will
beg to come here because there are LOTS of
cockroaches from all over the world and they
will even let you pet a tarantula. The spider
wrangler was willing to let Jack touch the
tarantula -- she even emphatically reminded me
that "Rosie" was very tame, but with Jack's penchant
for grabbing our own pets I didn't want to take any
chances so we passed.

The only really cool part is the open air conservatory
where lots and lots of butterflies are flying around, but
Jack didn't really notice them, even with my refrain of
"Do you see the pretty butterfly, Jack?" He was, however,
very interested in tearing leaves off of the tropical plants
and one fairly large piece ended up in his mouth and he
bit me as I was trying to extract it.
So much for appreciating nature...

Also, it was about 300 degrees in there because butterflies
don't come from places like Minnesota. Jack's favorite part
of the whole outing was the exit room that has mirrored walls
so you can check for "butterfly hitchhikers." We had a rousing
game of "Do you see the baby?" and we zoomed thru the gift
shop and were on our way.

For $6 I expected a little more. I'm thinking that for $3,
I can show guests an ant hill in our back yard, some local
foliage and some bees and then, maybe, I won't have to work
anymore. I'll keep working on my marketing plan and keep
you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment