Saturday, January 2, 2010

New year, new worries



I used some of the Christmas money to go buy myself a new book. Not fiction. Not a riveting best seller or something that can carry my mind to far off places. It's "What to expect -- The Toddler Years." Rob and I even had to discuss exactly what a toddler is...
We both came to the conclusion that Jack isn't an infant anymore based on the simple fact that his clothing is sized 18 months now and isn't located in the newborn or infant section of the store anymore. Very scientific! Also, the last "Expecting" book ended at 12 months and I'm pretty sure that parenting doesn't stop then as well.
So far I have looked up the following topics:
Biting
Throwing food, bottles and cups
Weaning (see "biting")
and
How to get your toddler to talk.
This was all much easier when all Jack could do was lay there and coo.
Jack doesn't seem to be biting anyone but me (for now) so, hopefully, with a few more teeth and a complete switch to cow's milk (funny...I've never had to distinguish it that way before this past year) the Dracula impulse will subside. The throwing of food and cups (according to the book) is an assertion of his independence and a good sign that he is on the right path to feeding himself. I am left wondering when he will be on the right path to cleaning up after himself. If it weren't for Sophie, I'd constantly be mopping floors. The talking thing is coming along slowly. He's mastered mommy and is sporadically using daddy. Pointing is his primary method of communication (along with the very effective screaming and crying.) At Jack's 12 month visit the pediatrician recommended that we focus on language skills for the next 3 months since she will be looking for 24 spoken words by the next well visit. Crap! So much pressure! There are days where I don't even think that I use 24 words! I'm hoping that if we don't meet this goal that we won't have to look for a new pediatrician. She can't really "fail" us as parents and discontinue Jack's care, can she??

2 comments:

  1. I got to you from Baby Vieve's profile, Julie's daughter. I used to work with Julie before we both had babies and find your writing very funny. Keep it up! 365, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Glad you are enjoying the blog -- it's lots of fun to write and SO much easier than actually filling out a baby book.

    ReplyDelete