Friday, January 15, 2010

Sesame Street ain't what it used to be...

And I don't mean that in a bad way.

I know that I haven't been a regular viewer of Sesame Street since 1977, but a lot has changed since then. They are still very focused on teaching the ABCs and 123s and on instilling wonderful values like kindness and sharing, but the look of the show is quite different.

Some changes to note:
  • There is a laundromat on the Street now, run by an Indian woman. Said laundromat is frequented by an elephant wearing a tutu. I don't think there is anything to infer from this but I thought it was interesting.
  • A veterinarian has taken up residence. What an impressive show of business acumen! How were all of these animals getting their vaccinations before this? Did they have to go to Brooklyn? Is Oscar even an animal? What exactly is Oscar (besides a grouch?)
  • Apparently, Mr. Hooper died. Now, a hilarious Asian guy runs the store and he gets all of the good lines. If I got to be on Sesame Street, I would want to be this guy.
  • Who is Elmo's agent? Man, this Muppet is the focus of, like, 80% of this show! I know he's cute and all, but, seriously, he is really annoying!
  • Bert and Ernie are no longer fixtures on the show. When they do appear, they are starring in Claymation shorts. This is wrong on so many levels...Bert and Ernie are supposed to be made of felt. Not clay. It's creepy.
  • Where is Kermit? Did he die like Mr. Hooper did? Did Elmo -- or Elmo's people -- do something awful to him? Is he swimming with the fishes?
  • Snuffaluffagus looks like hell! Can't someone brush this poor animal? There's a vet on Sesame Street now, for Christ's sakes! Doesn't she notice? Shouldn't Big Bird do something?
  • There is now a celebrity appearing on almost every episode: Anderson Cooper, the Goo Goo Dolls, Sandra Oh, Michelle Obama. The list goes on and on. I don't remember seeing anyone other than the regular cast when I was a viewer. Muppets were the celebrities!
  • The song is different, but the same. Not so sing-songy anymore. More of a hip hop version of its former self. Not sure if this change is for the parents or for the kids. It makes me sad.
This is still one of the best things on TV. We don't sit down to watch the show everyday, or even in its entirety when we do watch, but Jack seems to love it and I might even enjoy it more than he does! It makes me happy to know that there is at least one hour of programming each day where no one gets shot, no one is mean without consequences, no one utters a four-letter word (unless it is "shoe" or "boat" or "rock") and no one dies. Except for poor Mr. Hooper. And maybe Kermit. I'm still looking into that one.

1 comment:

  1. Cookie Monster is also now relegated to one cookie a day (usually in the shape of the letter of the day), as cookies are a "sometimes food". A good change, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete